Sunday, October 2, 2011

Birthdays, Ice cream and Miscommunication

Ni hao,

I've been crazyyy busy lately! And it looks like it'll be this way until the very moment I go home...which isn't long! I'm down to less than two weeks now, I can't believe it! I'm not ready to leave...
Last night I spent the evening at Donna's for dinner and game night and we also celebrated all three of her girls' birthdays, PLUS it was National Day -- talk about a great day!  

Today, I spent the morning playing with the kids and skyping back home. After xiuxi ("shooshe" - nap time), Micah, Kaitie and I took three of the kids from Eagles' Wings 2 (the orphanage house directly below me) out for some ice cream! My original intent was to take Cheng Cheng out, but after thinking about it, I decided to take a kid that usually doesn't get out (the quiet ones are always ignored), instead. So we told the Ayi's that Micah wanted to take Zi Ping (6yr old boy with Down's), Kaitie wanted to take Qi Qi (idk what her special need is) and I was going to take Qing Liang (2yr old boy that's visually impaired) We were planning to take them out around 2:30... Well, at 2:30 we all showed up to get the kids and the Ayi's had either misunderstood and/or they just decided on their own which kids they wanted us to take... cause instead of Qi Qi and Qing Liang, they had Wen Jia (6yrs - ADD) and Gao Jing (5yrs), dressed and ready to go! So, we went ahead and took them instead. Of course they would send both Zi Ping and Wen Jia -- they're the most "difficult" kids in the house! We had our work cut out for us, to say the least.  But, it was so much fun!  Ice cream is always good, though ;)  While we were walking around we found some chickens in cages on the side of the road (obviously for sale -- they had a scale sitting next to the cages. lol). The shop owner started talking to us and we all tried to have a conversation. It went well, I feel like I'm finally starting to understand the language (I understand more than I can speak - I told her no I didn't want a chicken lol). After awhile, Kaitie and I decided to keep walking with the kids, since we couldn't really say much to the lady anyway. Micah, however, who is fairly fluent in Chinese, got roped into talking with the lady for quite a long time. Later, he said she convinced him to take a chicken because, since we're foreigners, it's free -- she said she'd drop it off at his apartment tonight. On the way back, Zi Ping started acting up and refused to walk, then he'd sit down and cry. Wen jia and Gao Jing kept running off, we all almost got hit by a million cars/bikes, a kid almost fell in a pond/was running around pond over and over, and...yeah, it was rough haha. By the time we got back we had all three of them crying, for one reason or another (it didn't last long of course, they were all giggling again in no time). When I got back and saw the rest of the kids, Cheng Cheng darted me this terrible look from across the room, as if he was upset that he didn't get to go... why did he have to do that?! Poor kid. :(

Tonight, while I was playing with the kids until they went to bed, one of the Ayi's came and got me. Apparently I had a phone call. I answered and, yeah...why do people that KNOW I don't know their language (over the phone/the apartment intercom is the worst - it's like impossible to figure out anything they say) call me?? Makes no sense :P  I handed the phone back to the Ayi and shrugged my shoulders. 5 minutes later there was a knock on the door.... Remember the lady that was trying to give me the chicken earlier today? Yeah, she was at my door... with the chicken we were playing with, now cooked.... Ah! I do not want a chicken! lol And to think, I thought I was actually getting semi-good at communicating... :P 
So, now I have a whole chicken that probably isn't even cooked properly. Haha. Gotta love it here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment