Thursday, May 24, 2012

Let God Use You


About a month ago, on my way home from small group, I got a phone call - I didn't know the number - I answered, but they hung up. I was debating on calling the number back, but decided against it, assuming if they really wanted to talk to me they'd call again... About 5 minutes later they called again. I answered. It was an old(er) lady named Brenda. She called back only to apologize for calling the first time (she had the wrong number). She was speaking quickly but mentioned that she was trying to call her friend that is dying...and that she apologizes for calling my number and wished me a good evening.
I don't know why, but I asked what was wrong with her friend.  She explained that her friend has cancer and that she only has a few hours left to live and that she's really sad to lose her. I told her I'm deeply sorry to hear that...she started crying...hysterically...  I didn't know what else to say, so I asked if it would be okay if I prayed for her and her friend... she seemed shocked and asked how old I am... after I told her she asked if I believe there's a God. I said, "of course! don't you?". She said she didn't realize the younger generation even thought about there being a God...(wow! How sad!). She said her friend believes there's a God, but that she, herself, isn't so sure. I asked why and she said because her friend is dying from cancer, why would God let that happen?  I explained as best I could, being put on the spot and trying to drive, that "for everything there is a season", as hard as it is to accept sometimes. And that she doesn't need to worry about her friend and that she will be WITH God in heaven very soon and that I'm sure her friend wants that more than anything.  She asked if she will ever see her friend again and I told her there is one way to make sure of that... I explained that by believing Jesus is Lord and asking for forgiveness of all our sins, we will be saved by God's grace (Even when we screw up, God will always forgive us again and again). I don't even remember what else I said, but it was clearly God speaking and NOT me, because a few minutes later she said "thank you, that makes so much sense!" (and if you know me, you know I do not make sense!). she then asked if I was still willing to pray for her and her friend. I prayed aloud. Afterwards she was crying so hard I could barely understand her. She said she felt so badly that she disturbed me by accidentally calling my number, but thanked me for the talk (the funny thing is, my phone had 3% battery left, which usually won't even let me answer calls, but somehow it not only let me take the call, but I talked to her for over 30mins!?) . She then said she needed to go and call her friend so she could pray with her before it was too late..!

Well, last week, almost a month later to the exact day, she called me once again. She called to say thank you. She accepted Christ that night. She said even though her friend passed away, she feels like it's all God's plan and she can't wait to go to heaven to see her again and be with God.

PRAISE THE LORD!!!

I just want to say that God works in the most amazing ways!!!!  As much as I love witnessing to people, I usually feel like I'll just say the wrong thing and screw everything up....so I should just keep quiet, right? Wrong! After the phone calls with Brenda, I realized that I didn't do anything at all anyway, God spoke through me;  I just have to be willing to open my mouth.
She has taught me a huge lesson!

(Side note: during that first call in April, I was driving in Louisville and was so into the conversation that I wasn't paying attention to which exit I got off of.... I drove 45mins in the wrong direction! haha!)

2 comments:

  1. What an AMAZING story!! It is obvious that God was using you to help that lady find him. Truly remarkable!!

    ReplyDelete